The food you eat plays an integral role in achieving a healthy body. If your goal is to lose some weight, you need to be mindful of what you eat, including how it is made. If you do all the food prep yourself, one helpful tip to ensure you eat healthy food is to use olive oil. However, with the many kinds of olive oil available today, finding the right one can be challenging.
This article will tell you some essential tips for choosing your olive oil.
Why Is Olive Oil Healthier?
Olive oil is generally healthier than other types of oil because of the presence of a monounsaturated fat called oleic acid. This can help regulate blood sugar in people and provides many other health benefits, such as reducing inflammation and the risk of coronary heart disease.
Several studies have shown that olive oil can effectively cause weight loss in people. In a 30-month study of college students in Spain consuming a lot of olive oil, there was no link found between the product and weight gain. Meanwhile, this three-year study found that olive oil helped the participants with weight loss.
How to Know If Your Olive Oil Is Good for Weight Loss
If your goal is to find the best olive oil for losing weight, here are the questions you should ask:
- Where did the oil come from? If all the ingredients found in your olive oil come from one country, it is safer to use. However, if you notice that the origin of the olives or their blend is not stated in the bottle, it is best not to buy them.
- What color is the olive oil bottle? The darker the bottle, the more it can prevent oil oxidation. The oil will retain its excellent quality and flavor.
- What is the production and expiration date of the product? Ideally, good olive oil can retain its flavor for around two years. Make sure to check this detail before purchasing your bottle. Storage is also crucial in preserving its good quality.
- Are there any other third-party certifications found in the bottle? To find the best olive oil, look for bottles with the following labels: organic, non-GMO, ISO certified, and FSSAI-labeled.
How to Assess the Best Olive Oil Based on Taste
Should you already have olive oil on hand and want to know if what you have is good enough, here are some of the things you can do to check:
- Based on smell: You can determine the quality of the oil through its scent. The more pungent the smell from the olive oil, the better and fresher it is.
- Based on taste: You can also taste the olive oil to see if it is of good quality. To do this, you need to pour a small amount of olive oil into a spoon or a small cup. Drink it and pull in the air to savor its flavor. By inhaling with your mouth open, your taste buds would be able to absorb the oil better. Oil from good olives should be peppery with a bitter taste. If you taste otherwise, you probably have low-quality olive oil.
Oil is one of the most common ingredients when in food preparation. If you want to make your dishes healthier, changing your usual oil to olive oil can make a huge difference. It is one of the healthiest foods for ensuring a healthy heart, and it can contribute to your weight loss journey. But do not just take any olive oil. Make sure to take the time to find the best olive oil.
If you want to find the best artisan olive oil, check out our site. The Olive Bar is where you would find extra virgin olive oil at its finest. All our products are fresh and of high quality, as they are sourced domestically from award-winning producers.
2 thoughts on “A Guide to Finding the Best Olive Oil for Better Health”
Saw your u tube video 2-11-23 like the information shared. Would like the name of the one with a lot of health benefits. I spelled it as.it sounded, (picquaw)
You were standing near the desk of the shelf. I live in Chicago. Are your products in stores? My email address is. [email protected] I’m going to place an order want the bacon 🥓 flavor the picquaw or picquaw and a plain for cooking and or salads. 😄. Hope to hear from you soon thanks. Dorothy J.
I am looking for olive oil for health benefits. I understand it can help my skin and joints. Just watched video on YouTube. Very interesting and i really want to try several. I did not catch the name of the one with most health benefits.