Thanksgiving is on the horizon, and it’s time to start planning a meal that is sure to impress your dinner guests—even if that just means your immediate family this year.
With many of the holiday’s side dishes being reserved exclusively for the once-a-year celebration, it can be hard to imagine growing tired of the classics. If you’re anything like us, however, you might be looking forward to trying something new without taking a massive departure from your tried-and-true favorites.
As a day known for its good food, drink, and company, there are plenty of courses to choose from when it comes to introducing a new recipe. The rich and savory flavors of traditional main courses and starchy side dishes sent us on a journey to discover the ideal first course to balance the scales of the perfect meal.
We think we have just the thing! Pan-fried Bacon Brussels Sprouts Salad with Maple-Balsamic Vinaigrette.
This delicious salad is fresh and savory while still indulging in the sweet flavors of maple and balsamic vinegar. Pan-fried bacon Brussels sprouts paired with a well-balanced dressing and topped with cheese and chives round out what we believe to be an ideal introduction to a Thanksgiving meal to remember.
Take a look at the ingredients and instructions below to get started on your dish!
Sweet and Savory, Bacon and Brussels Sprouts Salad with Maple-Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar (like The Olive Bar's Traditional 18-Year Style Balsamic Vinegar)
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ cup olive oil (like The Olive Bar's Organic Arbosana Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- 1 lb brussels sprouts, halved
- 2 tbsp butter
- 4 strips of thick-cut bacon
- 8 oz spring mix
- 3 oz Asiago cheese, shaved
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- Blend balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, and mustard until well combined. With the blender running, slowly add olive oil until emulsified.
- Season with salt and pepper and let chill in the refrigerator.
- Cook bacon over medium-high heat in a large skillet until crispy. Remove and pat with a paper towel to remove excess grease. Finely chop and set aside.
- In the same pan, melt butter with the bacon fat. Add in Brussels sprouts, with the cut sides facing down on the pan, and cook until golden brown. Toss bacon back into the pan before removing and stir to mix.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and season with salt and pepper.
- In a large serving bowl, toss vinaigrette, lettuce mix, and Brussels sprouts to combine. Finish off by topping with Asiago and fresh chives.
- Your dish is ready to be served—Enjoy!
We want to know how your dish turned out! Post online to Facebook with the hashtag #theolivebarrecipes and tag us @TheOliveBarCampbellCA!
Visit our online shop or stop by our store in Downtown Campbell for a free tasting and experience our fine selection of Extra Virgin Olive Oils, Balsamic Vinegars, Coconut Oil, and more!