Tuscan Herb Olive Oil Pasta is not only delicious, but it also offers a wide array of health benefits that stem from olive oil’s healthy fats and rich antioxidants. This Mediterranean inspired olive oil pasta dish is fairly quick and simple to prepare and is sure to impress your dinner guests.
We believe great recipes should not only taste good but also be good for you. So, what makes olive oil the perfect pasta sauce for this dish?
What Makes Olive Oil a Healthy Choice?
1. Healthy Fats
Naturally occurring fats in fruits like avocados and olives are monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFAs) which, along with polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) have been shown to lower the risk of heart disease with a proven ability to lower cholesterol.
What can healthy fats do? Replacing saturated fats with foods rich in MUFAs and PUFAs, in moderation, can improve your diet and overall health by lowering cholesterol levels.
Antioxidants are naturally produced by the body and are also thought to be present in certain plant-based foods. Antioxidants help to block unstable molecules called “free radicals” that are produced by the body as a reaction to certain foods and environmental triggers. Free radicals can cause oxidation stress which has been linked to heart disease, stroke, arthritis, cancer, immune deficiency, respiratory diseases, emphysema, Parkinson’s disease, and other inflammatory or ischemic conditions.
What can antioxidants do? Antioxidants can help slow or prevent damages caused by the body’s reaction to free radicals.
Dietary regimen, like the Mediterranean Diet that are rich in extra virgin olive oil, take full advantage of the healthy fats and antioxidant-rich nutrients that olive oil has to offer.
Delicious Tuscan Herb Olive Oil Pasta
- 1 lb dry linguine
- ½ cup The Olive Bar Tuscan Herb Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 12 oz grape tomatoes, halved
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- ½ cup chives
- ¼ cup Millpress Pitted Green Queen Olives, halved (optional)
- 10–15 fresh basil leaves, torn
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook linguine pasta according to box instructions to al dente (approximately 5-8 mins).
- While the pasta finishes cooking, heat the Tuscan Herb Extra Virgin Olive Oil in a saucepan on medium heat for about 1 minute. Once warm, lower the heat to add garlic and a pinch of salt. Cook for 10-15 seconds, while stirring regularly. Stir in the parsley, tomatoes, and chopped chives. Cook over low heat until just warmed through, about 30 seconds or so.
- When the pasta is ready, remove from heat and drain water in a colander and return to its cooking pot. Pour the warmed olive oil sauce in and toss to coat thoroughly. Add salt and black pepper and toss again to coat.
- Add the remaining ingredients and toss one more time. Your olive oil pasta is ready to serve!
We want to know how your dish turned out! Post online to Facebook with the hashtag #theolivebarrecipes and tag us @TheOliveBarCampbellCA!